Saturday, March 04, 2006

All My Favorite Bands Are Dead

I’m listening to Frank Zappa right now and I realize that most of my favorite bands are dead. Don't get me wrong, I'm hip to, and like, new music and a large variety of types and artists, but I just really truly *love* bands that I will never see live.
I wasn't always into music it wasn't until I was about 11 that I became passionate about music.
That's when my brother, Matt, saved me.
I used to listen to Z100, top 40 stuff, and I possibly would still if he didn’t make me hang out in his room and listen to Led Zepplin, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple. He even forced me, the girl who was scared shitless by Little Shop of Horrors, to watch The Wall.
I love Classic Rock.
I have a crush on Tom Petty.
I have a crush on (young) Ringo Starr.
I would open mouth kiss (young) Bob Dylan.
If I ever became an actress and had to force myself to cry I think one of my triggers would be that I never walked the earth the same time as John Lennon.
I remember when I went to lunch once with my sister, Jen, and her husband, my brother-in-law (who I consider my brother since they got married when I was 13), Greg.
Jen asked me if I could choose one person in the world to dance with, who would it be
(Jen asks questions like these often, a lot of people buy books with 100’s of random questions, I never found much need for them with a sister like Jen)
My answer: Jim Morrison.
“You would never be able to keep time with him, he’d just be stumbling all over you with a bottle of whiskey in his hand,” Greg pointed out, in that brotherly shoot-down way.
He is probably right though.

I just wish I could actually go to a concert and see one of my favorite bands when they were in their prime.
I mean the closest I will ever get to dancing in with Guns ‘N’ Roses is the time my brother, Mike, put on “Welcome to the Jungle” when he was babysitting me and we jumped all over the living room furniture, including on top of the big wooden stereo system. Although, for my brother’s sake I’d like to say he’s still got it.
Where as for Axel Rose…yikes, all that comes to mind is the word yikes.

I guess it makes sense that the song I relate to the most is the Beach Boys, “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times”.

PS – It’s kinda weird that it’s under classic rock genre now, but I also miss Kurt Cobain a lot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had this problem...and then all of the classic metal bands from the 80s started reuniting and doing tours. And now I'm full of happiness.