Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I'm sick and a machine

In the past weeks I've been in a steady decline into illness.

But I don't get ill like other people, because other people stop and rest.

No, no, I want to rock and roll all night, and party every day - while listening to hip-hop and maybe Mike Doughty and Modest Mouse - matters the mood.

Two weeks ago I fell outside of bar, ripped open the top of my leg, got a real nasty bruise. So gross, but the kind of gross that you just kept looking at it being like - ewwww it hurts to look at.....ugh I can't stop looking at it!!

I got so scared I called my brother in law, Greg, he is an EMT.

I tell him how I got the cut by falling outside of the bar because- I was not aware of the step- and I was in upstate New York- and I didn't want to ask for help because I didn't want to seem all weak and girly- because I was hanging out with all guys.

He told me to admit that I was a dolt, clean it with some soap, put a band aid on it.

This week, in a typical move of dirty-hippieness, I fell asleep on a screened in patio on the beach and woke up with a horrific cough*.

After sleeping a ton and having fits of coughs that lasted for hours, I was shocked no one called 911


-then remembered that it sounds like they throw the baby for exercise upstairs, and the kid across the hall hangs on me like I'm his savior, and I'm not calling anyone. Ahh, Queens.

Today, one day of full rest under my belt, I'm up at 6:30, getting laundry, getting medicine, getting over medicated in order to survive, getting to work and functioning and then getting on stage actually able to do a solid five minutes while my head was slowly filling with all the illness I had surppressed all day.

I even stuck it out an extra hour to chat it up before I decided I'll drink more tea for dinner and spring for the cab.

YaY, I am feeling better!**

And in 15 more minutes, I'll be ready for my next 12 hour dose of meds and it'll be time for sleepy sleep.

I am a rock, I am an island, I am a crazy woman who will watch another hour of television before sleep.


confession - I'm staying up for the Janice Dickenson Show...it could either be heavenly trainwreck or reality hell.



*I don't regret it though, because the feeling of being wrapped up in a hoody and a sleeping bag (thanks to the ills - Will and Phil), and the sound of water against shore was a wonderful way to sleep off alcohol.

**Better means my eyes sting, my throat feels like a bubble, my nostrils hurt a little and my ears feel clogged - but at least I'm not coughing anymore.

No comments: