Monday, June 12, 2006

Oh Comedy, You Whore

People who can't get laid pay for it.

People who don't get laid and are neurotic about it, pay to do stand up comedy.

I am often humbled when people often comment, "you actually pay for stage time? they don't pay you?"

Nope. In fact I did an open mic tonight where I had to pay $5 and the audience got to pay $2.

Now, I understand it's a business, and I'm honestly grateful for the stage time but come on-
How many jokes about comedians being poor have to be made before we're thrown some sort of bone?

I guess if we were thrown a bone we wouldn't be doing this, hey-oh!

A couple of months ago* I stopped doing stand-up. I had a lot of stuff to do, there was a shitstorm, there was shit storm aftermath, I was disenchanted with my horrific audition, my direction in life, and my wallet always being empty.

I started this blog thinking - I'll go back to writing, I mean it was what I got my degree in.

But then it happened, I was at a bar** and I was talking to friends and everyone laughed at me, and then went on talking.

Um, excuse me, I would like to remain center of attention, I've got some other material for you...

That is when I realized that maybe I really do put the funk in dysfunctional and that I'm really only comfortable in front of a mic.

So, I went to an open mic and did my set and realized -

I am coo-coo for comedy
I'm addicted to sweet lady stage time.
I'm riding the black mic
I'm addicted to the adrenaline high...

I am so desperate for it I will give up my free time, my habitual television habbits (not entirely, thank you DVR!), I will give up any chance at finding a man, and yes -

I will pay for it.


The weird thing is, I don't really want to be famous. All I want is to travel around and make more people laugh, make minimal money and keep my darling day job.

Well, I can dream....of course dreams are prefaced by sleep, so for now I'm gonna go work on that.


*maybe more, maybe less. There's no sense of time in Sue Funke Land where days can be a week long with 4 hour naps that occur every 20 hours or so.


**I know, what a shock, you're thinking, Sue? at a bar? That's insanity. You're such the teetotaler, come on!
OR
If you know me you're probably thinking - is she going to bring me up? We drink together a lot.
Sorry pal, it's all about me tonight.

No comments: